Dark and Light  Forums

Dark and Light Forums (http://www.darkandlight.com/forum/index.php)
-   Remember Dark and Light (http://www.darkandlight.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=483)
-   -   Why are we still here??? (http://www.darkandlight.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72812)

Domonvoi 08-06-2011 06:27 PM

Why are we still here???
 
For some reason my thoughts turned to this game last night and I realized I didn't have a good answer to the questions I asked..

Why are these boards still here??? This game literally(Servers dark) died over three years ago but year after year the domain gets re-newed. The amount of domains still registered is actually quite staggering. Farlan's homepage is down but not gone so that means while down they are not dark.

Hope your new pad in Port Louis, Mauritius is as good as your last one on Reunion.

However I am not just asking this as a AGM....

Alheim 08-06-2011 06:28 PM

I am also asking this as more than likely one of if not the longest still present player of the community. News of beta came out when the talk of the gaming community was revolving around how Half-Life WON servers were shutting down and a new Server called "Steam" was being put in its place. I had just graduated from Highschool and can still remember first stumbling onto this site....Almost nine years ago....and it is still here.....

As I asked above why??? The game is dead and the IP has been licensed to snailgames. To keep this around is almost setting up their version to fail since everyone will be comparing the two saying well snailgames doesn't have this or this or this. I can't believe I am saying this but it needs to be said...

Pull the plug on everything. Let these boards die and give snailgames the chance to go off of a clean slate....
If you are still trying to one day re-launch DnL for US/Europe then I still stand by the above.... Delete the history, Delete the lore, Delete the world and give yourself the freedom to remold it and learn from your mistakes.

Note: To those who may not have read the bottom and top join clearly I am Domonvoi..... This is my player account from before I had the honor and luck of becoming a AGM ;)

v1gor 08-06-2011 09:59 PM

Not to mention the beta forums, they're still up and running after all these long years ...

Edit: I just noticed that you guys posted today. What are the odds that all of us three decided to check the forums on this exact date, well I did atleast =P

Flaelle 08-07-2011 10:26 PM

As a nice dreamer :
With or without these boards, we will do the comparison between the old and the new one.
I only take this place as somewhere we can speak of an old time and hope of a new good one. A new game to transfer our dreams, those we shared with DnL.

To be darker and more cinic :
It's easier for Snailgame to keep these boards alive for Europe/US than to add specifics' ones on their own forums. Here they don't have to manage the community, and they don't have any obligation with our community to create a server out of Asia or a game that really answers to our hopes and dreams.

neorapsta 08-08-2011 05:24 PM

It's probably someone parking the domain and hosting, i've seen companies do it just so they can have the webspace later if they want it. I guess this is just the same but probably for the chinese operation in case they come back west like the plans for Hellgate London.

Sincerely,

Oldest Present Member :P

Finnigan 08-08-2011 06:55 PM

It's not just this board that sputters on years after the servers went down for the final time.

The 'Ganarethian Hideaway' at MMORPG is still accessible, even though DnL was removed from their game list years ago.

[Find it here:]
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/508

For some reason there is a reluctance to let the *dream* die, even if the game is gone.

Verdrias 08-08-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan
It's not just this board that sputters on years after the servers went down for the final time.

The 'Ganarethian Hideaway' at MMORPG is still accessible, even though DnL was removed from their game list years ago.

[Find it here:]
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/508

For some reason there is a reluctance to let the *dream* die, even if the game is gone.



Finnigan Yep agreed with your last line...

Like Elvis is still Alive

The Beatles still are Playing in a Cantina in Mexico with Jhon

we Whom are checking in on this site I think all saw what the game had the capabilities to do jsut need the time to get the Coding worked out for it

I as a player from Sog to the opening of the game enjoyed it from even step i was understanding it was and would never be a finished game it is a MMO always updating and fixing what is there

it in that fact made it Human for it was made by Humans never perfect but always striving for perfection had alot of fun as did alot of those whom we played with till the servers were shut off

as to why this domain is here i say the game never died just well it is changing from a cataplier to a Butterfly and we are apart of that metamorphoses we all did not like the graphic's of the old DnL but we loved the game play and Freedom of the server tech

So we are here to remember and also look forward to anew and maybe we get to test the new to help with the debugging of it for we all know wht bugs the old had

well that is my 2 cents wake up now i am done
cheers all lets hope we get more INFO soon Snailgames ...Please just incase you guys are reading our post

Domonvoi 08-09-2011 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neorapsta
It's probably someone parking the domain and hosting, i've seen companies do it just so they can have the webspace later if they want it. I guess this is just the same but probably for the chinese operation in case they come back west like the plans for Hellgate London.

Sincerely,

Oldest Present Member :P


Quote:
Originally Posted by FinniganFor
some reason there is a reluctance to let the *dream* die, even if the game is gone.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaelle
As a nice dreamer :
With or without these boards, we will do the comparison between the old and the new one.
I only take this place as somewhere we can speak of an old time and hope of a new good one. A new game to transfer our dreams, those we shared with DnL.

This is why we are still here...

This is why I will be here as well. Even if we need a reminder sometimes...
Of the sledding contests down step hills with 100+ people.
Of the In-game events where even though behind the scenes things hit the fan the players still had a blast.
Of getting that perfect screen shot of yourself as a woodelf in a hang-glider with the sun just right.
And more importantly....
Of the friends we have made that will always be there even if we have moved on.....

Lord Feste 08-09-2011 10:06 AM

We're still here because

The dream never dies, I agree. but also it can't die because:

The current MMO market place is saturated with generic crap and we cling on to anything that might offer us an experience close to Ganareth. I mean really? have you played any of the AAA titles that are out there atm? Nothing setting the world on fire.

I disagree that this board needs to be wiped. There's something honest about remembering your legacy. At least while it's here, we can refer back to actual forum posts that were made, rather than peoples' jaundiced views of the past they either loved or hated...

Ah yes, and of course, we're here because Mystical Awakening needs a place to recruit its army ahead of the onslaught of darkness. We never forget. Our templars remain steadfast and we will not cease until the land is free ;-)

altsaxen 08-11-2011 07:50 AM

Hey guys, I'm just on here as I've been for a few years, stalking the forums, reading all your posts albeit not commenting much myself.

Unshra 08-13-2011 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domonvoi
For some reason my thoughts turned to this game last night and I realized I didn't have a good answer to the questions I asked..

Why are these boards still here??? This game literally(Servers dark) died over three years ago but year after year the domain gets re-newed. The amount of domains still registered is actually quite staggering. Farlan's homepage is down but not gone so that means while down they are not dark.

Hope your new pad in Port Louis, Mauritius is as good as your last one on Reunion.

However I am not just asking this as a AGM....

Same thing happened to me today, just thought of DnL and was surprised to see the site still up.

Jerwen 08-14-2011 08:12 PM

I check this site because
 
I loved the game, the huge world, the flying mounts, hours of exploring with finding new locations, the breathless making views from the top of the mountains, hanging in the glider, cruising with the snowboard through snow and sand, defending or attacking in teams, crafting, the pets...

Yes thats it so far for me

Asadrias

Bruxail 08-16-2011 05:14 PM

Look like this site may still be active because development was taken over by Snail Games. Story was on MMORPG.com.

Avefenix 08-16-2011 07:43 PM

haha... Mmorpg with Pix like leader ? come on mate loool
The last Agms who were in last old dnl days, have been caring about this forums.

Flaelle and more who moderate this forums yet.
It could be filled up with spam and whatever, and its clean!

Thanks to them to care !! ^^

Flaelle 08-17-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avefenix
Thanks to them to care !! ^^


Thx !

Istaar 08-26-2011 06:25 PM

Still here because what the game could have been I guess. Maybe if something ever takes it's place I'll stop checking in. :)

Alpha_and_Omega 08-26-2011 06:28 PM

Still play the demo from time to time.

Bensor 08-30-2011 02:54 PM

Still here because they didn't break my chains when they left.

v1gor 09-04-2011 01:59 PM

Just felt like posting...

So, Hi ! :cool:

v1gor 09-04-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensor
Still here because they didn't break my chains when they left.


lol hey bensor. I remember always getting jealous of you in the beta forums cuz you kept getting all the screenshot publicity on the main site =P

(you do know that the beta forum is still up right ?)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:40 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.