Go Back   Dark and Light Forums > English Forums > Remember Dark and Light
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Grand Master

Size Matters

Greetings all,

I have been spending a lot of time thinking about DnL.
Why do I still hope to see it's return even after so many years since it's demise?

Is it the graphics? No, not really. Othergames have graphics that are superior to DnL even superior to Savage Horizon (if that ever gets released)

Is it flying mounts, Griffons and dragons? Again, no. Those features are now in numerous games.

Character customization, adventuring classses, quests, GM events, the PvP system, crafting, palyer races? No. Again other games have surpassed DnL in all those areas.

It boils down to the single most important feature that no other game shares (yet). Size. Not just size alone either. Other games have a huge number of zones to explore. It is *seemless* size. There are other games that have larege seemless worlds beside DnL. But there is no game that has a *huge* seemless world like DnL At least not in a fantasy genre. EVE online has a huge seemless world, The largest world of all is WWII online, but for fantasy, nothing compares with DnL

Unfortunately, unless you have a subscription base similar to Blizzard, then the same feature that differentiates you from the rest, the same feature that appeals to people, is the same feature that is also a game's fatal flaw. A low playerbase and a huge world = a dead game.

No game has ever been more immersive to me as far as feeling as if I were a part of a believable world.

Size matters.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Novice

I totally agree with you Finnigan, size does matter! I had a lot of fun travelling from the starting place in the north down to the deserts in the south. It still took a good amount of hours even if I traveled by dragon some parts of the way. What also was fun was that I did it only being lvl 10. I haven't found a game ever since that I've been able to do the same.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Visitor

Send a message via ICQ to dkguru Send a message via AIM to dkguru Send a message via MSN to dkguru Send a message via Yahoo to dkguru
Why still here? That's easy...

I joined the game in early beta (I was a writer for a danish gaming magazine back then) - and I stop by every now and then just with the hope of seeing that one message...

"DnL relaunching on ...... !"

The concept of massive size was awesome. Me and a friend of mine ran for hours in one direction until we found a place I am pretty sure was completely untouched by anyone else's digital feets.

And it felt like OUR spot. Gave us the feeling that we were experiencing something unique.

I don't care about graphics or GPU power - being an on-going EQ'er since 1999 should make that clear :-)

Maybe one day... just maybe.

And yes, I'll take in-game ads and free4play style models if that's what it'll take to get the game back.

----
\
Old 05-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Grand Master

Send a message via MSN to v1gor
^Guys same here !!!

The feeling that I got in DnL just can't be matched in any other MMORPG or game in general that I've played so far. And I really do think it's because of the sheer size of the world. Not just that, but the unique art style, and let's not forget the music.

Adventure is like... one of the most captivating songs I've heard in my life, and that' saying a lot considering music is a huge part of my life (don't play it, i just listen to it).

Anyway, that feeling of finding an isolated building / piece of architecture out in the vastness of DnL's world was something very unique. Or just finding a spot with amazing scenery together with your big ass dragon

Here's a screenshot I took all those years ago during the closed beta testing phase, in commemoration of DnL

(:
Old 06-01-2012, 03:07 AM
Visitor

Smile Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_and_Omega
Still play the demo from time to time.

You do? How? and can you let me have a copy of the demo? I've been looking for it though.. alas it is nowhere to be found. Because honestly even haveing the offline "The Ganareth Tour" demo would be enough to suffice until/if Savage Horizon ever release to be played in the US. (I wish I just still had the installer for it.. I keep everything I don't know how I don't)

Last edited by Xetxuna : 06-01-2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: eh
Old 06-06-2012, 06:04 AM
Journeyman

Send a message via MSN to Larsidous
I have the demo too and had to make a virtual box on my vista system to play it.
I'm still here for two reasons.
1. The friends I made here and the memories are as alive as they are. Some still keep in touch with me!
2. This game had such potential and was so close to having everything required to really be one of the most noted epic games of our time. Even tho the game never made it to the point we wanted, it is a representation of exactly how to do it. We just can't let it go. It is like We won the lottery and they had no money to give us. We maybe won, but didn't get the payoff.

Too many memories, too many friends, too much hope to ever say goodbye..
Lars